GWC “Lagoon to Levies” Watershed Hike!
- Date: Sunday August 7, 2016
- Time: 10 AM – 1 PM
- To gather and have fun!
- Learn about Santa Venetia and the South Fork of Las Gallinas Creek ( there will NOT be a test, points given for interesting questions)
- Share Gallinas Watershed facts, information and stories about Las Gallinas Valley and our watershed
- Walk along paths, alleys, and road you may have never seen before in our neighborhood
- Lots of local lore will be shared, bring your own if you have any!
- Pick up trash where possible
- Start and End at the Civic Center Jury Parking Lot just south to the Civic Center Lagoon
- Parking is available; please carpool or arrive by bicycle if you can.
- Leave 10 AM, take back alleys through Santa Venetia, stop along the way to learn about Las Gallinas Creek and other watershed facts. Walk to Santa Venetia Open Space levees and then return to the Civic Center walking along some other neighborhood paths.
Hike Leader: John Denigris
Total hike distance: approx 5 miles
Total time: 2.5 – 3 hrs
Difficulty: Easy and flat.
This is a FREE event. Donations of $5 or more are greatly appreciated.
Everyone is welcome:
Kids – Great!
Dogs – sure, well behaved and on leash please since we are walking as a group. Be ready to pick up after rover!
Raindate: In August? C’mon! And if it did rain, that does not cancel this event.
Dress appropriately and be prepared for SUNSHINE: Bring a water bottle, snacks and a wide hat!
Bring binoculars – you might spot an unusual bird, maybe even a CLAPPER RAIL!